Sunday, February 22, 2009

I'm not the only one who does this, right? Right?

I love going to thrift stores. Have I mentioned this before? Maybe. Anyhoo, I love thrift stores, garage sales, estate sales, whatever. But not auctions, because I'm shy. Since it's winter, thrift stores are my main source for finding cool stuff lately. I went Saturday wanting to find some vintage wallpaper or shelf paper or something to put in my hutch and buffet. (Note: it would actually be easier just to paint the stupid thing, and probably cheaper, too, but I do not like to paint, and I think a pattern would be cuter anyway.)

I found these:



Close ups. The pink/orange/red is my favorite. That doesn't mean I don't love you, too, blue.



The labels are in Swedish, but a lot of Googling gives me a rough translation of "Book covers: good protection for schoolbooks" for this part.



I think this says something about it covering ten books.



Anyway, I bought this--$1 for both rolls--and now I'm afraid to actually use it. I haven't unwrapped it anymore, but it seems a little fragile at the edges. I have no idea what to do with it. Display seems appropriate, but how? Glue it onto a canvas and hang it on the wall? Seems boring. I can't imagine using it in any sort of functional manner, because even though it only cost me $1, it seems a shame to effectively ruin something that's probably forty or fifty years old. At the same time it doesn't seem right to just stick it in a cupboard somewhere. That's probably where they're going until I figure something out, though.

2 comments:

  1. What about gluing (is that how you spell it?? It looks wrong) to some squares of wood which you could mount to the wall and then hang a framed photo of your kiddos on each one....does that make sense? Kind of like the canvas idea but with wood so you could layer (hang) a frame on it...I'm explaining it with you with my hands...not so helpful via a comment box....

    ReplyDelete
  2. I get what you're saying. That's a good idea, I have a space above my window that needs...something. Or a hall that also needs something. L suggested gluing them to roller shades, but roller shades and I do not get along well.

    ReplyDelete