Wednesday, March 25, 2009

You can have my fabric when you pry it from my cold dead fingers

I have a ridiculous amount of fabric. There was a time when I would go into a fabric store and just look for fabric I liked that was a good price and then I'd buy it. Anywhere from one to five yards, figuring I'd use it for something someday. This was a lot more permissible when I was trying to get my etsy store off the ground. (I'm still trying to do that, but getting things settled here has temporarily taken precedence.)

When we were in our old apartment and then at my mom's, I had a whole room for my craft supplies. And they were full rooms. I have a plastic shelving unit, probably a foot deep by a few feet wide and over six feet tall. Five shelves, stuffed with fabric plus random supplies on top. Obviously that's not going to fly here. So Sunday night I decided to go through my fabric. My original plan was to give preference to fabric that I have a specific project planned for and try to get rid of as much of the rest as possible. It didn't quite work that way. I know most of this fabric had projects attached at one point, but it's been so long that I can't remember most of them. I found fabric from my wedding (five years ago) and from high school (ten years ago). I got rid of the latter but not the former, if you were interested.

So anyway, here is my keep pile.



For scale, that pile is almost knee high. Also, please ignore my dirty living room. This is not my entire keep pile. I also have a large drawer full of fabric, plus some random projects I'm working on that aren't in the basket in the picture.

This is my giveaway pile.



It seemed so much bigger when I was sorting things out.

No comments:

Post a Comment