Saturday, April 11, 2009

Easter treats

I've seen variations on these all over the place, but I'm about to post one more. These are peanut butter Rice Krispie treat nests with chocolate eggs and bird Peeps.

So, your supplies.



(Notice Superman in the back there? He was trying to steal marshmallows.)

You'll need Rice Krispies. We splurged here, obviously. Peanut butter, which you can leave out if you want, butter, and marshmallows. The Peep birds are optional--we wouldn't have had them except B got some at work. Actually, if you really hated chocolate I guess you could go with just the Peep bird. Or jellybeans instead of chocolate eggs. Whatever floats your boat.

We made a double batch of Rice Krispie treats. The original recipe calls for 1/2 cup peanut butter, 3 tablespoons butter, 6 cups of Rice Krispies and a bag of jumbo marshmallows or 4 cups mini marshmallows.

First, melt the peanut butter and butter in the microwave until just barely melted. We stuck ours in the microwave for thirty seconds. Add your marshmallows.



It took us between two and three minutes in the microwave to get the marshmallows melted down. Do thirty seconds to a minute at a time, then stir. Add your Rice Krispies. I found it easiest to do them in batches and stir after each one. Stir until combined and *someone* is stealing bites.



I don't have many pictures of this next part because my hands were covered in stickiness. So here's my best explanation.

Take a cookie sheet and line it with foil. Spray the foil with cooking spray or butter it. Spray or butter your hands. Grab a handful of Rice Krispie treat and roll it into a ball. If your stuff turns out like mine, it will be too sticky to actually form into a ball so just grab it and roll. Mine were roughly the size of a plum, I guess. Bigger than a golf ball, smaller than a baseball.

Put the balls on your cookie sheet.



Let them dry for a few minutes, then let your helper press his thumb into each one. You'll probably have to pinch the sides and squish them around a bit to get them into nest shape. If you've let them dry for five minutes or so you shouldn't need to spray or butter your hands again.

Put them into the refrigerator for a few hours. When they're chilled and totally set, you can fill them. First the eggs.



Then the bird.



The Rice Krispie mix made 20 very good-sized nests. If I had made them a little smaller and not let the, um, children, each have one I could easily have stretched it to two dozen. I've seen some that say you should unwrap the eggs first but that makes it so much more boring.

Happy Easter!

1 comment:

  1. I've never seen these, but they're super-cute. I also love that giant mixing bowl you used. I'm kind of coveting it - so perfect for making my caramel corn!

    ReplyDelete