Monday, March 22, 2010

Wishing and hoping and selling and buying

We are tossing around the idea of moving back across the river as soon as Mr. Man finishes summer school July 1. One of my favorite things to do is look at house listings (and go to open houses, but I feel bad about going when I'm not really buying so that's pretty rare) so I am all over the idea. When I'm shoulder deep in boxes I might not think it's such a great idea, but that's in the future and who thinks about that?

First, though, there's this pesky detail of selling the trailer. There are a million things to do here, and all of them cost money. I can say it's free because I own the stuff to do it, but at some point I purchased that crap and it was probably for this project that I've procrastinated for six months. In order to sell we (I) have to get all those little projects done that make people think you care about your home. I don't, but I have to do them anyway.

A quick rundown of my very very revised to-do list. The first draft had over 100 items on it and even though I didn't want to do about 99% of it, it was almost physically painful to me to think about someone buying the house and not having all of those things done. Like someone is going to have a nervous breakdown if the beams in the living room don't get a second coat of paint. Someone besides me, that is.

1. Paint the house. I've bought the paint, I just don't know if it'll actually get done. And it wouldn't be the whole thing, it would be painting all the ugly blue accents to tan and charcoal gray.
2. Put the house numbers on. Oops, this was supposed to be done a year ago. And they're stickers so I don't really have any excuses except that it's been cold for a long time.
3. Power wash the deck. And the house. And the windows.
4. Touch up paint everywhere.
5. Put up a kitchen backsplash, which I think will go hand in hand with finishing the peninsula.
6. Finish all the built-ins (top for the peninsula, doors for the pantry, and mostly just paint for the closet).
7. Switch the drawer pull screws for ones that are the right length.
8. Replace the ceiling fan in the dining room.
9. Repair window screens.
10. Clean until I drop dead from exhaustion.

That about does it. I figure I should get all this stuff done whether we move or not so I don't have it cluttering up my to-do list. Also, I don't remember what it's like to live in a house where every single project was completed (last time was when I was 13) so it would be nice to get close to that again.

No comments:

Post a Comment