Sunday, April 11, 2010

Um...yeah

Just to warn you ahead of time, there is a downer ending to this post.

On Thursday the boys and I went to my mom's house to take pictures with Deetz, Monkey and Peaches. Deetz wanted some spring-themed pictures so she bought three baby chicks.

There was playing.


Digging into the Easter baskets that Aunt Deetz brought--nothing better than Peeps, candy necklaces and bubbles.


The turkeys came to see what all the noise was about, and Monkey demonstrated that they are so tame you can pet them like dogs. Mr. Man tried to ride one like a horse. I didn't get a picture of that because I was rushing to get him away. I suspected the turkey's goodwill only went so far.




More playing.






Then it was time to take pictures. We started out trying to get pictures of just Peaches and Yaya together. This is the best picture I have, it was like herding cats. She's looking at Deetz here, I think.


And then.

And then.

Then a bad thing happened.

Mr. Man, who had been playing behind us, ran through the area where we were taking pictures. Where the chicks were on the ground. He stepped on one of them. The only thing I can say is that thankfully, it died quickly. That was the end of picture taking.

The other two are in the workshop at my parents' house in a horse trough. I'm pretty sure Deetz bought roosters (bantams, I think they were called) so I think they will have to be relocated in the future because my parents don't want roosters.

I don't really know what to write here. It's kind of hard to convey that sick feeling in the pit of my stomach as I held that crying chick, its eyes closed, and waited for it to die. The conversation with my mom about whether or not we should get my dad to kill the chick, if it would be kinder to do that than to let it die naturally, in pain, and the relief that it died before we had time to do that. The look that Deetz and Mom and I exchanged, that second of silence as we all sat there in shock, hoping that maybe what we all just saw happen didn't really happen.

I don't think we will be using animals in any future picture sessions.

1 comment:

  1. Can I cry and be laughing at the same time? That poor chick. I just saw that the tag at the bottom of the post was "death." Like you've got a whole archive of similar stories.

    {oops - maybe you do}

    {and in that case I'm sorry}

    ReplyDelete