Thursday, May 20, 2010

Back to house hunting

Last Wednesday we put in an offer on a house that fit most of our criteria, and generally speaking the criteria it didn't fit could be changed. The house had been on the market for seven months and no one was sure why. We found out. Oh, we found out. Unfortunately it wasn't until after we'd wasted a week of our time--my June 29 closing is slipping away.

We submitted an offer of $15,000 less than the asking price and asked them to pay $3000 in closing costs. We wanted to end at $10,000 less than asking and $3000 in closing costs paid, which would have been in line with the appraisal and comps.

Then we waited. And waited. And waited. The sellers were out of town and supposed to come back Sunday night. They came back Tuesday night. During the time that we were waiting, we found out that it was a married couple that had lived there for almost fifty years; the wife wanted to move but the husband didn't. We should have withdrawn our offer and moved on the second we found that out, but we didn't, and as soon as I found that out I knew that we would either get back a refusal or a full price counter. After a week of waiting for them to get back from vacation, we got the counter. Full price, no closing costs paid. Shockingly, we walked.

I'm trying to understand this guy's position, but I can't get past how blatantly he's wasting everyone's time. I feel the most sorry for his agent. If you don't want to sell your house don't put it on the market. We wasted a week of the remaining eight weeks in our preapproval because we thought these people wanted to sell their house. We thought that it was for sale because it was on the market; I guess that was unreasonable of us.

Sunday we're going to three open houses and hopefully our agent can get us (and by us I mean me and the boys--fun fun!) into at least some of the remaining half dozen houses on our list.

No offers on the trailer yet. No legitimate offers. I'm ready to give the stupid thing away.

Needless to say, I will now be asking upfront, before we waste any more of our time, if the owners actually legitimately want to move.

No comments:

Post a Comment