Friday, November 26, 2010

Good and bad

Good tasting and bad for you, of course. That's how most of our family favorites go, so I guess it's good that we only make them three times a year (Easter, Thanksgiving and Christmas). If I do ever make these for a non-holiday, I try to make them a little healthier, which I will explain as I go on.

The two dishes I usually get tasked with bringing are Broccoli Rice Casserole and Cheesy Corn Spaghetti. First, the ingredients.


I'll put the actual recipes at the bottom, but for brevity's sake you'll need Cheez Whiz, cream of mushroom soup, milk, instant rice and broccoli for the broccoli cheese casserole. For the cheesy corn spaghetti you'll need butter, milk, spaghetti, creamed corn, whole kernel corn and Velveeta. If I were making this for a regular meal, I'd also need milk and flour for a roux. You can see the milk but the flour's hidden in the back under the butter. I had actually planned to use it but decided just dumping the family size can of cream of mushroom soup in was easier.

If you like, put something on the laptop/TV that you like. In my case, it's Saturday Night Live.


To make the broccoli rice casserole, dump the soup, butter and Cheez Whiz into a largish pot. (By the way, these are doubled from the amounts below.)

Mmm, goopy.


Bring it to a boil. Much better looking.


Dump in your broccoli.


Then your instant rice, and it has to be instant. Learned that the hard way.


Stir it all up and dump it in your pan. Unfortunately, there are no after pictures of either dish because they were baked the next day. It pretty much looks like this. Except browner. More brown. Whatever.


Now for the cheesy corn spaghetti, which is super easy. Dump all your ingredients in a pan. Cook. The end.


One thing I would say about this one is if you're going to cook it the next day, leave the pasta out until you're ready to cook it. Texturally it still came out, but I think there was some liquid (specifically butter) that wasn't absorbed.


Now for the recipes. We always double these.

Broccoli Rice Casserole
2/3 stick butter
1 can cream of mushroom soup OR roux, see below
1 small jar Cheez Whiz
1 pkg frozen broccoli
1 cup uncooked minute rice

Melt butter, soup and Cheez Whiz in pot. Bring to a boil. Stir in broccoli and rice. Put in 8x8 pan. Bake at 350 degrees for 30-40 minutes. When done, pour 1/2 cup milk over.

Roux to replace one can of soup: Melt 2 T of butter in a pan. Whisk in 2-3 T of flour and cook for a few minutes. Whisk in 1 c of milk (or 1/2 cup each of milk and chicken broth). Cook until slightly thickened. If desired, add sauteed onions, celery and/or mushrooms.

Cheesy Corn Spaghetti
1 can creamed corn
1 can whole corn
1 cup spaghetti, uncooked and broken
1 cup Velveeta chunks
1/2 cup melted butter (you could almost certainly decrease this)
1/2 cup milk
2 T chopped onions, optional

Mix all ingredients and put in 8x8 pan. Bake at 375 for one hour. For first half hour bake covered with foil, stirring occasionally. Uncover for second half hour and continue stirring occasionally.

I haven't experimented much with replacing the cheese products in either recipe, although I imagine that at least part of them could be replaced with shredded cheese. I'm thinking that caramelized onions would do good things for both of them, I may have to try that next time.

1 comment:

  1. ooooh cheese and brocoli cant go wrong. my cousin made something similar to this and added chix and it was amazing.

    ReplyDelete