Wednesday, March 16, 2011

A quick change

I would say that, on my top ten list of things I don't like about this house, not having a real foyer--one big enough to use as a foyer--is in the top five. I can remember looking at two houses that had my dream foyer, the type big enough to put a table smack dab in the middle, but alas, they were not to be. (Really, who cares about the mechanical parts or location of a house if it has a good foyer?)

I think back wistfully on those foyers when I see mine. Until recently I didn't think there was much I could do about it except sigh heavily when I passed through the entryway, but the more I looked and thought about it, the more I realized there could be a solution.

So I took this table from next to the couch.



And added a coat of my new favorite thing.



And put it and a mirror in the little space behind the front door.



A closer look at the table.


The pictures are kind of terrible because even if there is room for a table it's still a tiny space and angles are limited. Also, I know it looks like that mirror is hung ridiculously high, and it kind of is, but it's centered on my face. I think it's hung 59" on center.

And now, my shame. The disgusting floor.


Blech. When we moved in the floor was 1970s vinyl in a (I think) cobblestone layout. Nice shades of brown and red. Since I wasn't sure what I wanted to do I decided to paint it. My ultimate goal was to paint it blue and stencil it in white. I obviously never got around to the stenciling part. Winter came and brought lots of salt with it. That's what you see there--salt stains. They won't come off without some serious abrasive scrubbing; even wiping with a wet rag can sometimes take the paint up.

I had already decided to strip and stain the stairs and I know now what I want to do with the foyer floor, but of course I can't find the tile I need for it anywhere local. I did find one place that had one of the tile sizes I needed, for $15 a square foot. Not in my budget, even if it is a pretty small area.

The table looks a little sad without anything on it, but I don't know what to put there. I'd like a tray and two lamps, but there are no outlets and Mr. Man would abscond with anything not nailed down. I'm thinking maybe two wall sconces below the mirror with electric tea lights? I'm not sure. Any suggestions for me?

2 comments:

  1. You made it work! I love that table in red. I don't have a foyer either, and it drives me nuts! Thanks for the visit today. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. The table is adorable there!

    How about a tall plant? I feel like you need something tall to connect the table to the mirror.

    ReplyDelete