Thursday, March 17, 2011

A room of my own

After more than one disgusting discovery involving cat urine (that the cat miraculously lived through) in my sewing room, B and I have decided it's time to build a wall. The basement finishing project was going to be one of those sometime-in-the-future projects, and for the most part it still will be, but this wall needs to happen sooner rather than later.

The right side of the basement was going to be divided into two areas: B's "man cave" (I hate that term) and my sewing room. The wall will divide those two spaces from the rest of the basement and we will also be building a half wall (or perhaps half a wall's worth of bookshelves with a door in the center) between the two rooms. That way Mr. Man can play in B's space while I sew and the odds of my ever accomplishing anything sewing-related during the day go up considerably.

So of course even though any real personalization as far as built-in storage (and most likely even paint) will have to wait, that doesn't stop me from looking at pictures and daydreaming. I really like seeing what others have done with their craft rooms, but to be perfectly honest most of them are somehow off to me. I can't put my finger on it exactly, unless maybe it's that since I've never come even close to crafting in a pretty well-put-together space that I can't even fathom it.

Anyway, for now I'm focusing more on what I want in there. A cutting table tall enough for me (I'm 5'10") is the first order of business, and of course where else would I go for ideas besides Ana White's site?

This one (which also requires this plan) is my current favorite.



This one is very similar to the one above, and there's not a ton of difference--the one I prefer has a drawer under the top and cubbies instead of a mix of cubbies and shelves--but I think for fabric storage, not to mention storage for scissors, pins, tape measures, pattern weights, etc., the first one is my best bet. I'm also thinking this for fabric storage--at least one, maybe more.

And, because I am a sucker for anything that's pretty even if I'm not used to it actually in my house, some eye candy.


I love Heather Bailey's studio with the heat of a thousand suns, but I don't know how well I'd do in there. It's just so pretty. I might just stand there slack-jawed instead of actually making anything.

(via Eurolush)

Here's one from Eurolush. Love the idea of the long counter (more space to pile crap). I also love the chair, but I think a comfortable chair would be a bad idea for me, as it would encourage me to be lazier than I already am.


I like the fabric wrapped around comic book boards method of organization, and since I tend to lose small pieces of fabric in the stacks I have now it's definitely worth looking into.

(via Houzz)

Finally, I like the floor to ceiling (or close) cabinetry here. I'm messy, so anything to hide the mess is great.

I want to start this project yesterday, but we'll see how it goes. I'd be happy--ecstatic--with getting it to the point that the cat can't pee on my stuff anymore.

2 comments:

  1. I love the idea for organizing fabric by wrapping it around cardboard! I should really do that!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those rooms are beautiful but I'm with you....who would ever want to make a mess in them? Too pretty for my slobby-ness. Love the fabric idea though.

    ReplyDelete