Monday, May 16, 2011

Gallery wall, done-ish

As with everything in this house, there are a few tweaks I'd like to make to this project but won't. Partially because of lack of time and partially because since the walls are not rejecting these pictures (like they did the last ones) I'm not going to mess with it.

A quick recap in case you don't want to click on the link above: when we rearranged the living room we were left with a large empty wall. With a little help from that famous used furniture store known as Mom's house, some spraypainted lamps and (as of right now) one Target lampshade we had a decent-looking arrangement. It just needed some pictures to go above it. Except after many hours of finding the perfect arrangement, when we (I) tried to actually hang the pictures on the wall they fell off. We have always had this problem in this house. I don't know why the walls don't like to have things hung on them.

I decided to back up and do a wall of newspaper templetes a la Young House Love. Follow their example and use Frog Tape, because the blue painter's tape I had really didn't stick well at all. I did buy it from Wal-Mart, though, so it's entirely possible I was using an inferior blue tape product. For many weeks that wall looked like this:


You can't see, but I labeled each piece with the name of whatever picture was going there. Probably a no brainer, but I thought I'd throw it out there.

Eventually I got around to picking up some cheap ten-pound picture hangers from Home Depot. I used this Make Projects tutorial for using soda can tabs as picture hangers, which I would recommend more for things that aren't in picture frames--I had to put on some tabs upside down because the frame was so narrow. Worked exactly as promised, though.

When I finally got tired of looking at pieces of newspaper on the wall, I measured the gaps between the pictures and got to work. My pictures are 2" apart because some designer in House Beautiful said that was a good distance. Personally, after looking at this, I think he was off by at least half an inch if not a full inch.

And finally, the mostly finished product.


Some of these are really snug on the wall. Some are not, like that picture of Mr. Man on blue satin toward the top right. For those I will get some Velcro (I know Command has some, I don't know if I'll use it or regular sewing sticky-backed Velcro) as recommended in the YHL post above and secure the bottoms of the frames. I also left a space where the second lampshade that I keep forgetting to buy will go. There are a few little gaps that I haven't decided if I want to fill with little random objects or not. I have a few tiny pictures of my mom that I'd like to hang, I might see if I can find some wallet-sized picture frames and put those in those spaces. When I get more pictures, more frames and more times I'd like to extend the pictures up toward the ceiling above the kitchen doorway and over toward the floor and the corner. I want to get a baker's rack or bookcase to go in that corner so it won't go all the way over, but I think another row will look good.

All in all, it's not perfect, but it's mostly done and I like it. And that's about as much as I ask from anything around here.

2 comments:

  1. I think it looks great - although I was kinda digging the "ad wall" as well ;)

    I never thought about using velcro. All my picture frames have loops of duct tape on the bottom. I guess that's the white trash equilvalent...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your comment, love the gallery wall, good idea using bits of paper to get it just right!

    ReplyDelete