Monday, June 6, 2011

Oops

I have had the brilliant idea that the shower doors need to come down for a while now. You can see the doors (kind of--it is really hard to take pictures in a small bathroom) in the house tour post from last year.


The problem was that when trying to bathe kids in there who don't necessarily want to be washed, those doors were a huge pain in the rear end. Also, I can't tell you the number of times that one of them (usually Mr. Man) has tried to slam the doors on me, whether or not my head, fingers, arm, etc were in the way. So I decided to take them off. Easy peasy, I thought. Just undo some screws, lift the doors out, pop the top and bottom off and Bob's your uncle. Do things ever work out like that?


The answer is no. No, they do not. This tile popped off when I was pulling out one of the side pieces. I don't know if you can see it in the picture, but there was mold behind this tile, and the wall behind it was wetter than I would think is desireable. I did what any reasonable poor person would do and glued it back on with Liquid Nails. The yellow one next to it got glued, too. Then I grouted around it and walked away whistling nonchalantly.

Then I started planning our bathroom remodel.

I know I mentioned here that we might make a powder room out of the linen closet and pantry, but the more I thought about it the more I decided that just making a bigger bathroom would be a better use of the space. It'll have an opening to the master bedroom so I guess it will be a master suite, which might be a selling point if we ever move. But since we have no plans for that within the next five or ten years at the very least I decided it was silly to make a second bathroom.

Here's a (not very good) Google Sketchup model of our current setup. Yes, I know some walls have depth and some don't. All the exterior measurements are accurate.


The bathroom is currently 7' x 7 1/2' at its largest part (the closet in the bathroom eats up a bit of that near the tub) and taking out the closets would make it 7' x 11'. It'll never be huge, but that extra 3 1/2'-4' will be very appreciated.

I don't think I ever posted after pictures since I've painted. And these are terrible. I apologize in advance. Hopefully there is some sort of "how to contort yourself to take good pictures in a small bathroom" tutorial somewhere online that I may read and learn from.

First, the vanity area. Ignore any junk on the counter, I didn't have the foresight to buy a shower caddy before I took the doors down.


The door on the left is the entrance door and the door on the right is to the closet. The closet is mostly wasted space; it's too deep to fully utilize and there's a lot of stuff in there that could easily live in the basement.

Shower area. This is just the liner, I need to buy a second rod for the curtain. I want the curtain to hang from the ceiling but I couldn't find any liners long enough. So two rods it is. I think it feels much more open, though. And the doors weren't the most stylish things around.

A view in from the hallway. You can see the door to the linen closet on the left. The right side is the backside of the pantry.

A view of the linen closet from inside the bathroom.

And the linen closet door in the kitchen. This will just be closed off once we remodel.

Now for the SketchUp drawings. I think I've actually changed my mind since I made these last night. I tried to keep most of the plumbing in the same place, but the shower ended up getting flipped around. I had to put in a 6" bump out because that's an exterior wall, but I'm thinking it would be better to flip the shower and dressing table positions. That way I get to keep at least some of that bump out space and we don't have to move plumbing. We'll have to buy a new tub either way, though.

An aerial view.

You can see here where the tub is bumped out from the wall. If I flip it to the other side (where that white rectangle that represents the dressing table is) I'd have to move the doorway to our bedroom down a bit, but that shouldn't be hard. Famous last words.

The vanity area. For storage the closets would be replaced with two tall cabinets. These are 8' tall, 24" wide and 16" deep. They'll probably have doors on top and drawers on the bottom. The one on the right did have drawers on the bottom, I don't know where they went.

The shower area. It would be tiled with white 4 1/4" x 4 1/4" tile in a running bond pattern. That sheet of glass at the end probably won't be there. I want to have an oval shower rod hung from the ceiling (the type they use for clawfoot tubs) and the glass wall won't be necessary.

Dressing table.

I'm torn on whether I want a vintage Art Deco-style vanity or if I want something like this.



The rectangle on the side of the dressing table represents the laundry chute. Another reason a shelf-like table like the one above might be a better choice.

If you want to see more of my inspiration for this project, I started a new Pinterest board for it here. I doubt we'll be doing any work for a while, but I'm going to start collecting supplies as soon as I can. I'm sure there will be many more posts about this; I will probably be crying, swearing, bleeding or all of the above in at least half of them.

2 comments:

  1. wow yikes thats a big oops!
    holy smokes you got some design talent, how did you do those drawings! you must have a ton of patience! of course you do, stay at home mom to two kids!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooooh, I am so jealous that you are thinking about a bathroom remodel. I have been dreaming about that since I moved into my house and I just don't think it will be a reality for another year or so. Until then, I will live vicariously through you. Can't wait to see the transformation!!

    ReplyDelete