Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Thrifting fun

This weekend we went thrifting and I took some pictures to post here. There aren't many because I was trying to be all nonchalant about it, plus also Saturdays are kind of busy days at the thrift store. Oh, and these are camera phone pictures. Not iPhone because I'm not made of money over here, but this camera is light years better than the one in my last cell phone.

I always make a beeline to the furniture section. And since by the time I got to the rest of the store Mr. Man was not pleased that's 99% of the pictures I have.

First, this dresser. There was another one similar to this but I didn't get a picture. This was $99. This thrift store always has decent cheap stuff (especially chairs) but they also usually have a selection of Art Deco-type stuff like this that's more expensive.


Out of my price range, sadly. And I have no idea where I'd put it, but sometimes for the right piece of furniture you just find a place. This was in good condition, too--drawers all slid well and a good finish except for a few spots on the top.

Another "I don't know where I'd put this but I like it" piece.


This was $40 marked down from $60.

This one actually came home with me.


$10 and solid wood. This sucker is hea-vy. I'll do something to it, I don't know what yet. The finish is a little messed up on the top, especially by the corners, too much to just slap some Restor-a-Finish on, but I'll figure something out eventually.

Yaya being my Vanna.


This chair was $6. I am all full up on chairs, but I think a nice upholstered chair would add something to my living room. I'll probably switch out the two side chairs for fully upholstered chairs at some point in the future, but not right now. So it stayed at the store. One thing I can always count on here is that they'll have chairs that I love, so I don't think I'll regret this later (knock on wood).

And, last but not least, something everyone should have in their home: ceramic ferrets.


I do kind of wish I'd bought these, but I was on a budget. One was $5, one was $2. (Well, $4.91 and $1.91.) I can't remember which was which and I don't really see a reason for the price difference. But wouldn't these be cute spraypainted white or some fun color?

I don't have anything from the second thrift store we went to, the "new" one, because it sucked. It didn't know what it wanted to be. A really overpriced thrift store? A new clothing store? A grocery store? So that was a bust. Someday I'll get brave enough to drive in the Big City alone (I used to do it all the time when we lived here but apparently I've forgotten how) and then I'll have a proper thrifting day. Until then I'll reminisce about the ferrets that should have been.

1 comment:

  1. oh my gosh what deals!!! i would have gone crazy for the chairs!

    ReplyDelete