Saturday, August 13, 2011

Back to school

It's back to school time here. Wednesday, in fact. I'm of two minds about the kids going to school. On the one hand, WOOHOO I GET TO BE ALONE FOR A FEW HOURS. This is the first year both of the kids will be in school for a full day and I will have six hours to do whatever I want. I've done absolutely nothing this summer--I tried and gave up--so the first item on the agenda is to finish the stairs. They still look like this. In fact they probably look a little worse because they're not sealed so the paint can and does chip. I might be able to finish them in a reasonable amount of time because I can paint them and not worry about someone walking on them two hours later when Mr. Man comes home from school. And of course sewing will be easier when there's a good chunk of time to dedicate to it.

On the other hand, I hate back to school. I find that there are few other times (except birthdays) when you get such a concrete reminder that your kid is getting older, especially once you get past the firsts like crawling, walking and talking. I really hate to see the grade level going up every year. This year Yaya is going into second grade and Mr. Man will be in kindergarten. I've been having the surreal "I'm old enough to have a second grader? Really?" feeling a lot lately. And of course I can't think about him going into second grade without thinking about him going into sixth grade and ninth grade and graduating high school and graduating college and before you know it I'm at my own funeral. Mr. Man's going to kindergarten threw me for a loop because I was expecting a year of full day pre-K, but somehow kindergarten doesn't seem as bad as an actual number grade.

So, you know, I might cry because I have the delightful ability to turn the kids going back to school into a glimpse at my own mortality, but on the other hand I'll be able to get stuff done in peace. I'm pretty sure that no matter what silver lining I find I'll always hate back to school time.

No comments:

Post a Comment