Thursday, September 8, 2011

Coffee table indecision

I bought this table a few months ago with the intention of doing...something with it. I didn't know what at the time and frankly I'm still not 100% sure.

I've thrown around all the usual ideas, i.e. painting or staining it darker. The second is pretty much out when you see the table in the room.


Visible foam cushions notwithstanding, leaving the table stained wood is too dark for me. Plus that's too much brown. Brown couch, brown side table, brown coffee table, brown carpet that will someday be a brown wood floor. No thanks.

Painting is a good option, but what color? I'm at a loss. White is always a good standby but it just isn't right, I don't think. Yellow? Too much with the curtains. What about emerald green? That's an accent color that's in the room but not much. I think it's better kept that way, I don't want it to feel like a rainbow threw up in here. Silver leaf? Maybe, but will it hold up? Probably not with my kids. So far the best solution I've come up with is pickling. Which is almost just painting it white, so back to square one.

The table itself is a little rough, but should be easy to fix with some sandpaper and elbow grease. We also use and abuse it a lot, so whatever finish I put on it has to accept that abuse, too. After reading Jenny's post on oil-based paint I'm thinking that might be what we want, except for the fact that the table is really heavy and moving it outside to paint would be a huge pain and would definitely earn me some dirty looks from B.


So basically, it will be brown for the foreseeable future since I can't make up my mind. What do you think? Paint? Silver leaf? Pickling? Tablecloth so I can ignore the problem altogether?

No comments:

Post a Comment