Monday, November 14, 2011

Yay for viability

I know I said I would post about my fall decor this weekend, but I lied. I was too lazy to get the pictures. I should take the camera with me to pick the boys up from school so I can just grab a picture on the way in the door. That might be the only way it gets done.

Anyway, today marks my twenty-fourth week of pregnancy, which means the baby is now viable--basically she (yep, still going with she) would have a chance if she were to be born now.

B says this is a weird thing to think about, and I suppose it is. It took us a long time to conceive this time around, almost a year, and during that time I did lots of online research as to why. I joined forums for women having trouble conceiving; there were women who were unable to conceive and women who were unable to carry to term. If you spend long enough reading those stories you start to convince yourself that you will have those same problems. Once I did get pregnant it was always in the back of my mind that miscarriage was a possibility, even though I've never had a miscarriage before. Just preterm labor. So while I definitely thought about reaching twenty-four weeks in my first two pregnancies, it's been on my mind a lot more this time around. Actually, though, I think I've been in the hospital less this time--my preterm labor with both boys was almost certainly caused by infections and I've had three so far, all caught early. I'm not on full bedrest yet (still supposed to be taking it easy) and I hope to avoid it completely. I think I might make it.

Since I haven't posted ultrasound pictures in a while, here's the one we got from the twenty-two week appointment.


I think she's even turned her face away here. I don't know when I'll get another ultrasound, but I haven't lost all hope that I might know what I'm having before I give birth.

2 comments:

  1. YAY! She's a hard headded lil one isnt she?! I know what you mean, I had a couple of miscarriages and it also took us forever to concieve. Take care of yourself and the lil one youre carrying!

    ReplyDelete