Wednesday, August 22, 2012

Kitchen, part one thousand

I write a lot of posts about the kitchen. At least, I feel like I do. I think about it a lot, mostly about how to make it more efficient. (Solution? Gut reno.) When I'm not thinking about efficiency I'm thinking about making it pretty.

When we first moved in, the kitchen was still in its original wooden state. Then I painted it green, which, while I loved the color, I later realized was a big mistake given the 1968 Formica countertop had green in it. When we were thinking about moving earlier this year, I decided a new coat of paint was in order. Yes, it took me three months, and it's not totally finished. Lots of places where a brush is required need a third coat. I'll get to it.

So, without further blabbering, here it is.

I was adament that I didn't want another white kitchen, but I have to admit that I like this. If we ever do gut the kitchen (fingers crossed) we will probably have another white painted kitchen.

As a reminder, here's the kitchen before.

And the other new thing in the kitchen. Well, dining room.

This is from my mom's house (which, if you read regularly, you know a lot of stuff around here is. But she has the money to buy good furniture and lots of antiques.) I love it. It's somehow both smaller and larger than our old table, and the chairs are much more comfortable. Plus since they have the posts on the back I can make back cushions at some point in the future. Probably ten years from now. They're not as red as they look here; they're more of a golden oak. I messed with the color a bit, but it's late and I don't have as much time as I'd like.

Now to move on to finishing the laminate floor in the living room. You know, the one we also started in May. Yeah. Better late than never, right?

2 comments:

  1. i do love the white looks so bright. im supposed to do my cabinets too.... whenever that might be! haha

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love white...anything. The kitchen looks so much brighter. I must ask you...what is with the roman shade? No judgement on starting projects and not finishing. My son had ADHD...I wonder where he gets it ;)

    ReplyDelete