Saturday, September 1, 2012

I'm sure Tom Silva and Norm Abrams would approve

Our kitchen is hot. Like, when you walk in during the summer the heat hits you in the face like an oven, and during the winter it's like walking into a freezer. I blame it on the fact that there's only one vent in there, plus the windows and back door are old. After our lovely foundation crack, though, it seemed to get worse. The crack that appeared above the back door seemed pretty clear evidence that things were out of whack in there. I've known for a while that there was a gap above the door, but yesterday it was looking pretty big so I got up on a chair to see what, exactly, was going on there. I could see daylight around the door (but only at the knob side) so I'm going to go out on a limb and guess that it's not doing our AC bill any favors.

Rehanging or replacing the door are not cans of worms I want to open right now, so I grabbed some peel and stick weatherstripping and created this lovely little scene.

Yep, three layers of weatherstripping. They highlight just how out of square the door is here. There are two other kinds of weatherstripping on the frame (where weatherstripping actually belongs): metal and vinyl, both of the V-channel (I think that's what it's called) variety. Basically just strips of metal/plastic bent in half. I can still see daylight around the latch with those, so I should probably remove them and replace them with more of the peel and stick.

This is my favorite part.

I refer, of course, to the part where I cut the three stacked strips too short and had to cut a little end piece to cap it off.

I'll be honest, I love this door because it's old and wood, but when it gets replaced (fingers crossed for having that done within a year!) it's getting replaced with a nice fiberglass super insulated thing I buy from Home Depot. Sometimes you just have to choose function over form.

2 comments:

  1. Mitered weatherstripping - I love it!! We had someone come out and take a look at our foundation awhile back. The good news: it can go a little while longer before being fixed. The bad news: it'll be about $12,000 when we're ready.

    Which will be never.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We replaced some of our old windows… which in the restoration-community is a huge gaffe. But you know what? The new windows? Don’t rattle when the wind blows, and we didn’t have to take them apart and rebuild them… If it were feasible, I’d consider replacing all of them. I hate shutting storm windows when it rains.

    ReplyDelete