Tuesday, November 27, 2012

Candy turkeys--not a fail

I saw these on Org Junkie a few weeks ago and decided to make them for Thanksgiving dinner. They call them "little gobblers." I just call them delicious.

Now, as we've all learned from sites like Craft Fail, Pinstrosity and Pintester, things we see online don't always work out the way we hope. And that's fully what I was expecting from this.

First of all, I changed a few of the ingredients. For instance, it calls for Red Hots and jelly beans for parts of the turkey. None of us like Red Hots and I don't like jelly beans with chocolate and cookies, so I used M&Ms instead. Also, I used full-sized M&Ms instead of minis. I couldn't find the Nabisco chocolate wafers so substituted Oreos. Chocolate creme double-stuffed, to be exact. They were out of the regular ones. (OK, they were out of the regular generic ones. They had regular Oreos but I'm cheap.)

Secondly, I could not find candy corn. I looked in three different stores on three different days, the last day being the day before Thanksgiving when I had all the kids. No go. So I decided our turkeys would have M&M feathers.

It had been in the 30s and 40s all week, then Wednesday we had a heat wave in the upper 60s or lower 70s, something like that. It softened my frosting way too much. If I had noticed or thought of it earlier I would have stuck it in the fridge for an hour or so.

Because of the soft frosting, Yaya couldn't really get the hang of making them stand up.

He gave up after this one, but he ate the evidence of his failure. Delicious failure.

Also, I just noticed that they had a second cookie on the back. Since I couldn't find the wafer cookies or candy corn I doubt not having this made much difference on mine; the Oreos and Reese's were pretty much the same size and the M&Ms stayed put just fine.

Even with all the changes and the too-soft frosting, I think they turned out adorable. As you can see, we weren't too picky about the M&M colors being accurate.

Most importantly, they tasted great. I don't think Mr. Man would have cared what they looked like as long as he got to eat the end product. Except the Nutter Butter. He's not a fan.

Linking up with Serenity Now's Weekend Bloggy Reading party.

No comments:

Post a Comment