Wednesday, November 21, 2012

Third time's the charm

I bought an orchid a few weeks ago (I think five) at Aldi. $10 and it's beautiful and covered with blooms. However, it came in a teeny tiny four inch pot, which it had already outgrown it by the time I got it home. The cat is a real jerk and would always knock it down so she could lay in the sun on the table (NOT ALLOWED, POPPY) so soon it looked like this.

Beautiful, right? The pumpkin, weights and mixing bowl full of marbles really add a little something, I think.

I knew it needed to be repotted, so I bought potting mix and set off on the journey for a good-looking pot. It would be a long one.

The first one I bought didn't even make it in the house. I saw it at the thrift store (where else) before I'd even bought the orchid. I loved it but didn't know what to put in it. For 59 cents, though, I bought it, and B promptly let it fall out of the back of the van while we were unloading groceries and the other thrift store purchases. I am still a little annoyed with him.

The second one was also a thrift store find at least three weeks later. Lest you think I only shop at the thrift store and that's why it was taking so long, I looked at several stores between the two purchases. Target, Home Depot, Wal-Mart, Hobby Lobby. None of them had what I wanted, both because I didn't like most of what they had and I didn't really want to pay full price for a summer item in November. I meant to check out TJ Maxx and Kohl's but never made it over. Anyway, the second pot was ceramic. I bought it with the intention of spraypainting it white since it was a really hideous speckled brown. Once I spraypainted it, though, I realized it had a hairline crack and some weird blobs of clay that were baked into the glaze. That wasn't the problem, though. This was.

I sanded and repainted that stupid thing three times--the second two times with a brand new can of Rustoleum Painter's Touch 2X in gloss white--before I gave up. I was about ready to just go buy a stupid orange plastic pot for $1 at Wal-Mart when I saw this beautiful brass pot at the thrift store (again) Monday.

Now, if you've been reading this blog for any length of time, you know I'm a horrible procrastinator. If you're new here, I'm a horrible procrastinator. This time I was determined not to do that. As soon as I got the pot home I washed it and drilled a hole in the bottom for drainage. I could have sworn that it had one, but it did not. It had a modern tag on the bottom, though (solid lacquered brass from India, not for food use) so I didn't feel bad about drilling into it. Ten minutes later and...

A newly potted orchid! I just pray it doesn't outgrow this pot for a long, long time.

No comments:

Post a Comment