Tuesday, December 18, 2012

Must...not...end...blogging...streak

I had planned to write a post about the stockings I made the kids, except I haven't made them yet. Oops. I've been shopping all day, so I'm hoping to get to them tonight, although I really need to finish the dollhouse since I'd like to have those gifts dropped off Thursday. Everything is cut out and my batting is stitched to my latch hook canvas (not a listed step, but I always like to secure stuff to latch hook canvas when I use it so that whatever I'm using as padding doesn't bunch up if/when I wash the finished item.)

I bought all the stuff for my baking today, except for about 2/3rds of the pans I need. I usually use foil pans for this type of stuff, which I get from Dollar Tree. However, the last three times I've gone to my Dollar Tree, the line has been to the back of the store and there's one cashier open. I don't need to save 29 cents (or whatever it ends up being) on disposable pans that badly.

I then checked for pans at Wal-Mart. Well, actually then I went and bought groceries but not at Wal-Mart. After that I checked for pans at Wal-Mart.

Here's a picture of a pouty baby with bedhead to break up this post.

Ever since her hair started growing in it looks like that whenever she wakes up. As you can see, she is not as amused by it as we are.

Wal-Mart had mini loaf pans but not sufficiently deep but not enormous pans for cookies. They had these little tiny 2" deep pans (about 6"x6"x2") that I wish had been an inch bigger all around because they probably would have worked really well.

After that it was on to Target. I volunteered to bring in a few extra gifts for Yaya's holiday party gift exchange. They had to be under $5 and suitable for a boy or girl. Now, when I was in school, the girls bought gifts for the girls and the boys bought gifts for the boys. Then we'd split up into groups (or just mark that the gift was for a boy or girl, I can't remember) and exchange that way. That would have been soooo much easier than trying to find a gender-neutral gift. Even the gifts that I found that were in the right price range and could have been gender-neutral were pretty clearly divided. The books were mostly either about fairies, divas or hilariously awkward girls or they were about sports, dinosaurs, robots or hilariously awkward boys. The Magic Treehouse series came to the rescue there.

The puzzles were also clearly divided along gender lines. Spider-Man or Tinkerbell. Disney Princess or Avengers. I got aliens because they were the cutest, although robots were a close second. (Also note that I'm not saying that girls can't like Spider-Man or boys can't like Disney Princesses. However, I'm trying to buy for either a boy or a girl and I don't know these children, so I don't want to buy a Disney Princess puzzle that will just get chucked in the trash by a boy who doesn't want it.)

SO SAD.

Now I have everything I need. I'm going to mix up as much dough as I can tomorrow, then cook it all Thursday. That should not be at all stressful. Maybe I'll cook the breads Wednesday and the cookies Thursday. We're supposed to get a pretty bad snowstorm Wednesday and overnight into Thursday, but this is one time I actually hope there won't be a snow day. Two hour late start, fine. I'm not a morning person. But nobody wants stale Christmas treats. I would probably still eat them and just complain the whole time, but that's me.

No comments:

Post a Comment