Thursday, December 13, 2012

(Thinking about) making Grandma's scrapbook

I am not 100% sure, but I'm beginning to suspect that I don't actually like scrapbooking. I mean, I love the idea of it. I used to work with someone who got the Stampin' Up catalogs, which she would bring in and I would ogle. (Do they have independent sales reps? If they do, she probably was one.)

Source

At that time--this was back in, oh, 2002?--scrapbooking wasn't nearly the mainstream thing it is now, or at least not around here. If you did scrapbook, you got an album with the plain paper pages and you put in a photo with either glue or photo corners. If there was a relevant explanation, you typed (or very neatly wrote) that up and put it on there, too. There was no creativity. Everything was at right angles with everything else. It was a fairly inexpensive hobby.

I have done both digital and regular scrapbooking. Both have their merits. I prefer a hybrid. If there are things I can make on the computer instead of buying stamps or stickers, then I do that. Luckily programs have improved since I started that, too. Kids today don't know how good they have it. I haven't gone 100% digital, but Katie's posts about her digital scrapbooks always tempt me. However, I've already bought most of the supplies I need to make a traditional scrapbook for my mom's Christmas present. I went about 2x over budget, which was pretty low to begin with so that's OK.

I feel a lot of pressure to make perfect, awesome, never-before-conceptualized layouts. I feel this pressure only from myself, of course. I could just hand my mom a stack of pictures and she'd love them. Also, all of my scrapbook supplies are stored in a Rubbermaid storage box, so doing anything requires a fair bit of set up and free time, which in my world means it's not happening often if at all. I'm trying to avoid that mindset by using B's gigantic gaming table--if I can't make a scrapbook on an eight foot by eight foot surface, I should probably find another hobby.

My tastes have gotten slightly simpler over the years. But not much.

Source

I am especially glad that B has the next week off, because even with that table set up next to the toy room I don't know if this would get done any other way. Plus it'll be nice to have someone to either watch Baby Girl or come with me and run interference while I take those inevitable last minute supply trips to Hobby Lobby.

I'd like to say that I'm going to finish this post and go scrapbook, but I'm not. I'm going to go to the grocery store. I will probably buy cookies even though I'm trying not to eat as much sugar. But maybe after I get back, if Baby Girl agrees to take a nap in her own crib or if I can remove all of the choking hazards from the toy room, I'll finish a layout or two today. If not, there's always the weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment