Thursday, January 24, 2013

My name is Jessica

And I have a fabric problem.

I wrote here that I boxed up most of my fabric because I didn't have any immediate plans on using it. I did leave some out that I thought I might use soon, or at least soon-ish. The stuff that got left out took up one small shelf. Then I went shopping.

I rarely pay full price for fabric. I will lust after full price fabric, but I won't buy it. If I have a coupon or it's on sale, it becomes significantly more likely that it'll end up in my cart. I have a hard time resisting a good sale. For this reason, I try to stay away from Hancock and the Hobby Lobby fabric section unless I'm looking for something specific.

However, the quest for a birthday dress for Baby Girl has put me in dangerous territory. At last count, I had checked eight stores for a dress and come up completely empty. So I moved on to finding fabric to make her a dress, which took a long time because I didn't have an entirely clear picture of what I wanted. Somehow I ended up with this.

That's probably close to 20 yards of fabric (I don't remember exactly) and I paid around $60 for it. Some is from Hobby Lobby, some from Hancock. I know what I'm going to do with all this, which is an improvement for me. I used to buy fabric just because I liked it, then figure out what to make later. I'm sure no one will be surprised to hear that I didn't always figure out what to do with it, later or ever. Now I have fabric that I have no plans for but feel obligated to keep. I'm going to do a lot of weeding when I unpack the fabric again, though. If I've had it for ten years and haven't figured out what to do with it yet, I'm probably not going to figure it out.

I'll make Baby Girl's dress next week, then after her party I'll sew the rest of the stuff I'm planning. I don't want to end up with even more pretty fabric that I never use.

2 comments:

  1. thats all gorgeous fabric! we dont have anywhere to shop for fabric here so when i order online at fabric.com i go a little crazy. im banned from ordering any more till i do something with all the fabric i have! hah

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can really relate to this. Good luck putting it to use.

    ReplyDelete