Monday, January 28, 2013

My weekend

I apologize for the lack of pictures in this post. I have a sick baby on my lap and a sick husband next to me on the couch, so I'm trapped.

I didn't accomplish as much as I wanted; Mr. Man has been sick for almost a week, Baby Girl has been sick for a few days, then Sunday B had a migraine so I couldn't do anything that required someone else to supervise the kids. Mostly I worked on stuff that needed to be done on the computer. I made one tissue paper pom pom for Baby Girl's birthday party and wasn't happy with it, so I will be dismantling it and starting over.

We did get a few things done Saturday. I got the floor patch put down in the bathroom. I had thought maybe I could get the tile laid Saturday, too; the directions said that most floor coverings can be laid one to two hours after the floor patch goes down. However, there were still several wet spots on it last night fourteen hours after I put it down, and there was still one damp spot this morning. So I left it alone. Also, I ended up popping up I think three more tiles over the past week when I was scraping the mortar up. Two weeks ago I would have been supremely annoyed at that, but now I just figure I'd rather deal with them all at once than in drips and drabs over the next several months. I briefly thought about popping them all up--I don't think it would have been hard--but I decided against it.

We also got the trim put up around one basement window. Here's B working on that.

It's not for any aesthetic reason, so it's just bare wood right now. I bought some rought 1x3s from Home Depot--they had smooth ones but they were something like four times the price. Normally I think the recommendation would be to put pressure treated wood against a concrete wall, but I wasn't comfortable with having pressure treated wood in the house or with cutting it. I know they've changed what chemicals they use, but better safe than sorry. I primed the backs of the boards, but we've never had a moisture problem down there so I don't expect there to be an issue. If anything, we've had more issues with lack of moisture than with excess moisture.

After the wood was hung, we stapled plastic to it. I had intended to do all three metal-framed windows, but B was getting frustrated because he was having trouble getting the holes drilled, so we decided to wait. The other two windows are covered with curtains or blankets, but plastic would be better. And prettier.

Also, if you look at the picture above, we fixed the rim joist insulation in the last two joist spaces. There was a long piece of insulation that the previous owners had just laid flat in the first bay, so obviously that did nothing. We cut it to the right size for the first bay, then cut the extra in half to go around the pipe in the second bay. Eventually all of those are supposed to be covered with rigid foam insulation, which is then supposed to be covered with wallboard. That will probably be a fall project.

And finally, I wanted to share this picture of the boys watching Harriet the Spy on Saturday night. This literally never happens. They were probably babies the last time they willingly sat this close.

Hope you had a good weekend, and that no one in your house is sick.

No comments:

Post a Comment