Thursday, March 7, 2013

Oops, again

I am off my game this week. I've been trying to get stuff done but I feel like I'm just running around like a chicken with its head cut off or focusing on little non-important details, so I'm not actually accomplishing much.

Despite the fact that I just wrote a post about trying to be happy with this house and staying put for a while, our real estate agent is coming over Tuesday to give the house a once-over and chat with me about some projects I haven't started yet, or tell me which ones are worthwhile and which ones aren't. Namely I'm anxious to find out if my plan for the back basement walls (rigid foam insulation covered with board and batten) is OK as far as resale goes. I don't even care about counting it as finished space (I'm assuming it won't), but cement walls have a value of R1 and it is cold back there. We'd like to keep some of the heat we're paying for. Even if she says everything looks great and we can get top dollar (she won't say that), there are no houses that give me that warm fuzzy feeling when I think about buying. So far the best I've gotten is "ooh, this won't be very much work at all." To me, that's a lateral move even if the house is a step up. I went to a few open houses in my neighborhood this weekend, but unfortunately nothing tripped my trigger. One house made me feel really good about the state of my house; the other made me feel pretty bad. I still have no idea what we could sell for, which makes house hunting a touch difficult.

Random links: I love house restoration/remodel blogs, especially if they're old houses. You can imagine my delight when I found oldhouses.com. I've been stealing time and reading updates on some of the blogs there when I can, and trying not to start reading them all at once. So far I've read the entire archives of Casa Decrepit--that took about a month, but it was worth it. This one's not listed on that site, but I've been working my way through Bungalow 23's archives as well.

I got my new bedroom bookcase assembled yesterday and have decided to fast track the trim I planned to add to it. It definitely needs some pizzazz; not only is it cheap particleboard to begin with but one of the holes for the cams wasn't drilled right and there's a big lump on the side. I hope to get curtains sewn, too, because I'm tired of looking at sheets on the windows. Do you have any special plans for the rest of the week?

No comments:

Post a Comment