Friday, June 28, 2013

Apparently strawberries are invasive

I did not know this. I think they're wild strawberries, since I don't recall planting any but I have 50 feet of them now. This is 90% strawberries and morning glory.

I left a few strawberries toward the far end of the fence, close to the peonies. Those plants actually had baby strawberries on them, and if we get to eat them before the birds and rabbits, I might let them live.

One of the elephant ear bulbs we planted grew.

Something has been nibbling on it, though. Maybe this guy?

See him back there in the corner? He was cleaning up some clover for me. Wish he'd stick with the weeds and leave my plants alone. My coneflower is looking a little rough, too.

I did some quick and dirty weeding, so now the fence bed looks like this.

Should have taken pictures of the giant piles of weeds left to deal with. You can see one of the smaller ones there; there's half a dozen that are at least twice that size.

We bought a $20 pool at Target and the kids have been loving it this week, with temperatures in the 90s every day except Thursday. Well, Baby Girl is not that excited about it. I think the boys get a little too crazy for her. They didn't want to wait until it was totally inflated before getting in.

I might work on some projects this weekend. I've been grudgingly prepping the bathroom floor for its last chance tiling, and I'm just going to kick myself in the butt to get it done. What are your plans for the weekend?

2 comments:

  1. I have strawberries, and they're definitely invasive. So is mint. The berries look pretty (but I'm not sure they are edible) and the mint smells incredible (and is edible) but pulling the excess is no fun.

    Just found your blog - looking forward to reading more.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! We had chocolate mint at our last house. It smelled great but it was everywhere. We didn't really have garden beds there, so it wasn't a big deal to just mow it. There were lots of stray cats running around so I never felt comfortable with the idea of eating anything grown there.

      I have to go out and weed soon (hoping to catch a day that's less than 95 degrees) and I'm sure the strawberries will be gone. I'll tear out the rest of the plants then, although I'm sure they'll be back.

      Delete