Friday, June 7, 2013

Fabric dollhouse and furniture

I saw this fabric dollhouse tutorial and immediately knew I had to make one. It took me a while to get it all done (although that's because I'm a procrastinator, not because it's difficult) and I made a few changes because of course I did.

The first change I made was adding two inches to the height and width. I loved the finished product at that size. She gives you a few options for the inside; I chose to wrap latch hook canvas in batting.

I decided what fabrics I wanted each part of the dollhouse to be made out of (interior walls, exterior walls, roof, inside floor and "garden" floor), then laid my corresponding latch hook pieces on the fabric, very close to each other but with a small gap so the house could bend where it needed to. This is an interior wall and roof section (the walls and ceiling are the same color).

This is the outside--wall, floor, wall.

Notice that I cut a lot more around the edges than I needed to. I used a 1/2" seam allowance, but I cut extra because it's better to have too much than not enough. Believe me, I learned that firsthand with the roof.

Now sew your floor and one of your wall pieces together. This is the floor and a side wall piece.

Lay your pieces on the fabric and measure out your 1/2" seam allowance now. If you want to eyeball it you can. I marked around my latch hook piece with a fabric pen (you don't have to be exactly at the edge; I left 1/8" or so of ease) then used a seam gauge to measure out 1/2". Here I've already trimmed off the excess fabric.

Mark your other side wall piece and sew it onto the other side of the flooring piece. You should have something that looks like this.

If your fabric seams are off a little, or if you need to take more off, now's the time to do it.

Add your front and back pieces now. Since these are cut a little big I only sew to the seams in the other piece, close to where those pins are.

And repeat with the garden fabric.

Now put the outside together the same way. I outlined the three pieces that go on the yellow fabric to make sure I knew where everything was going.

Outlining also helped when I had to sew on the side wall pieces. I just lined up my outlines, then sewed the side wall piece on.

Sew your elastic on before you sew your two halves together. There are nine loops altogether: at the top of each side of each half of the roof, at the top of each side of the walls, and in the center of one side of the roof. I used oval elastic from Hobby Lobby. I think these pieces are 2 1/4" long.

Make your handles before you sew the two halves together, too. Take a strip of fabric, I matched mine to the roof. I think this is 3" x 12". I should have written it down. Fold in 3/4" on one side and press.

Turn in and press again.

Turn in on the other side.

Turn over once more; your strap should look like this. Notice the edges aren't even.

Sew both sides down. I lined up the edge of the strap with the edge of my presser foot.

Finished strap.

Sorry for the blurry picture; apparently I stopped taking pictures at this point. Anyway, this is after the two halves are sewn together. Remember to clip your corners, inner and outer. You can kind of see that I was testing out some of the latch hook pieces at this point; if I needed to do a bit of taking in or letting out I wanted to do it without having to turn the piece inside and out a lot.

And here's the finished product!

I also made two little mattress beds, they were simple box pillows with fabric blankets sewn into one end. I forgot to take pictures of those, apparently. I should have a tutorial for the chairs coming up next week. Baby Girl kept trying to steal the rabbit; I think I know what she's getting for Christmas. Especially since I accidentally bought two sets of animals.

1 comment:

  1. This is the sweetest thing. Better than the rat cage :). You are the best mom to make this. I don't know if I would have the patience.

    ReplyDelete