Monday, July 22, 2013

Rude, Bill

When we adopted Bill, we were told that he loved nothing more than going outside on a harness and leash. We tried it and he cowered and looked like we were trying to get him into a bath. He didn't like the harness, but over time we noticed that Bill really really wanted to go outside. He was always lurking around the doors, waiting to make a break for it. He did slip out once or twice, but he immediately froze in the driveway. He got what he wanted and he didn't like it.

Last week, though, he got out and didn't freeze. Mr. Man decided he wanted to go to the store and, while B and I were in the kitchen working on dinner, he opened the front door and yelled that it was time to go to Wal-Mart. We said no, but it was a minute before we knew the door was open. (Note: we have a door alarm, but somehow it got turned off and now it needs to be completely reset or something because it no longer works. I need to get on that because Mr. Man is getting way too comfortable with opening the door.) I went to feed the cats at midnight and Bill was nowhere to be found. That's very unlike him since he's always worried about his stomach. I checked all the bedrooms and closets, but I knew he was gone. I drove around looking for him for a little bit, but it was after 1 AM by that point and he was nowhere to be found.

The next morning, I walked Mr. Man to the bus stop for summer school. As I was walking home, I saw two of the neighbor girls standing across the street from their house looking at something. Bill was sitting in their driveway, grooming himself like he hadn't just disappeared for thirteen hours. He allowed me to pick him up and take him home, then complained because there wasn't enough food in his dish, then sat around meowing sadly for an hour. He was nowhere near sufficiently grateful to be back in the air conditioning with food, a litter box and soft furniture, but what did I expect from a cat?

He spent the rest of the day sleeping. He obviously had a rough night.

He's back to eyeballing the door again. I gave the leash and harness another shot, but he wanted nothing to do with it and refused to walk. I'm not surprised.

1 comment:

  1. Cats are just too independent for me. I like needy things, like my kids :). Glad he is safe.

    ReplyDelete