Wednesday, September 18, 2013

An over-the-top closet

Have you ever wanted something that was, maybe not completely ridiculous, but something you really didn't need and could easily live without? But you just wanted it because it was so pretty and fancy and you liked the idea of having it? I have a lot of those wants, and one that's been at the front of my mind these days is a walk-in closet. It's an idea I've been kicking around for a while, and I had almost talked myself out of it, but then I saw this picture on Pinterest.

I have a window in the space where my closet would go. I could put a mirror at the end and build a huge shoe rack (which allows you to have a narrower closet, so bonus) to the side. I don't have anywhere near that many clothes, but if I had an awesome closet I could be convinced to shop more.

We could have tons of cabinetry.

This one has lots of open shelving.

I could have an awesome dressing area like this.

Or this.

Unfortunately we don't have room for something like this, but I do like the cabinetry color.

This is what the sewing room floorplan is right now.

The furnace is represented by that big box and the water heater is the round thing.

This is what it would look like with a 7x7 walk-in closet.

That basically leaves my sewing room as that little 5x7 area in the corner, since we hope to eventually install a water softener next to the hot water heater and we keep the tools and cat litter boxes in the area by the furnace.

If we wanted to do a walk-in closet but only have shelving on one side, we could do something like this 5'x8' closet.

That leaves me a sewing room that's 7' x 8'6, more or less. More doable for sure, and I know some people work with a lot less, but I'm not sure which I want more: big sewing room or big closet. Also, what if we shoehorn that 5'x8' closet in there and it's not really big enough to justify the loss of space? I can't decide. What would you do?

No comments:

Post a Comment