Monday, September 9, 2013

Maybe the organization will stick this time

Have you ever watched an episode of Hoarders where the hoarder says "I know it's too messy, I just don't know where to start" and you think "just pick up some trash, idiot"? That is how I feel when I walk into my basement. Logically I know the steps to take, but realistically I spend a lot of time standing in the center of the room staring at all the crap. However, I wanted to have a useable space for the boys' birthday party next weekend, so this weekend I set about making a dent in the mess. It wasn't as bad as it has been, but there's still just a lot of stuff. Also, it's one of those things where to clean one area you kind of have to tear the whole thing apart, and that's a teeny bit daunting.

My original intent was to clear out some space in my sewing room for the new dollhouse (it's the biggest piece in the den area right now, which is the area I'm trying to clear out), and to make it more pleasant to be in so I would actually go over there and sew. The only--well, the biggest--problem was that there wasn't really anywhere to put all that stuff. So I decided my best bet would be to go through the storage area under the stairs. It needed to be done anyway for the toy room's secret room. My camera battery was dead so I didn't get a before picture, but it was significantly worse than this 2011 picture.

I threw away three big bags of junk, cleared out almost half a dozen rolls of wrapping paper (bringing my total to 16 rolls--I have a problem), and took some other random crap to the garage. At the end I had this.

The problem now was that, once I started looking, I didn't really have a whole lot to put in there. Two boxes of Christmas stuff, old baby clothes, a box of miscellaneous that I need to go through some other time, etc etc. And Kojak's kennel in the front, of course.

The stuff on the top of the kennel didn't stay. Also, I left the back half of the closet empty because it seemed stupid to do the same work twice.

I did eventually get the dollhouse moved over to the sewing room. And sadly, this is after I got rid of a few boxes of stuff.

We've decided to move that dresser up to Yaya's room, so I'll finish stripping it (I stopped while the house was on the market), stain it--I'm thinking natural--and wax it. Of course that also means I need to get the stuff out of it, so that's going to be fun.

I've wanted to try this mini-bolt fabric storage for a long time, but everyone I saw doing it was using comic book boards, which can get pretty expensive. However, inspiration struck this weekend and it occurred to me to use foam core board. A quick Google search assured me that Dollar Tree's foam core was acid free, so I sent B out for ten sheets. Honestly, I'm not sure it's going to be enough. One sheet nets six small boards and two large boards, for longer yardages.

Baby Girl was not in the mood to be in the toy room, and I don't really like leaving her over there alone even if I'm only fifteen feet away, so I didn't get a whole lot done, but you can kind of visualize it.

I'm also not sure that bookcase is going to be enough, but I'll just keep going until I find out. It should take me approximately ten years to cut the boards fold all that fabric.

No comments:

Post a Comment