Monday, November 4, 2013

Barbie's a little warmer now

Today I decided to take a break from sewing for the One Room Challenge and play in the toy room with Baby Girl. After I found all the Barbie dolls and put them in their house (they apparently live in a sorority house), I couldn't help but notice that two-thirds of them were naked. We got most of our Barbies from thrift stores, so generally speaking they never had clothes to begin with. I'm not a person who cares if Barbie's naked, but they all looked cold and a little sad, so I thought I'd make a quick dress for one. Three hours later I was done.

This is a bellybutton (new-style) Barbie. We only have one old-style Barbie and she has a dress, so I don't worry too much about her. I think this was one of those Barbies that is pretty inexpensive and comes with a bikini because she has weird feet, which I've only seen on the Barbies that come in bathing suits. I could be wrong, though.

I learned a few lessons while making this. First of all, I didn't leave enough room for darts, and Barbie needed them. Barbie has some birthing hips, you guys. The new Barbies aren't as wasp-waisted as the old ones, but there's still a bit of a difference there.

Second of all, for some reason I put off putting the darts in until after the dress was lined, which meant I couldn't really see where they needed to go and they're too high. So next time I need to remember: don't do that.

It's lined with white broadcloth because that's what I could find--I just used it for costumes so it was still out. I think batiste is lighter than broadcloth, and the lighter the better as far as Barbie fabrics are concerned.

I used white Velcro for the closure since it's for kids. This dress will probably get tossed as soon as I make another one, though, because it's a little snug.

She needed darts on the back, too, or at least more fitting. There's some lumpy butt issues here.

Also, this blue fabric frays pretty easily, so the next time I sew Barbie clothes I'll Fray Check the edges of all the pieces before I start.

Overall I'm happy with how it turned out. Not too bad for just making it up as I went, and it really didn't take that long when I account for pattern making and hand sewing. I can probably cut an hour off next time.

And now I need to get back to Yaya's quilt--Thursday will be here before I know it.

No comments:

Post a Comment