Thursday, November 7, 2013

One Room Challenge week six: reveal time

It's finally here! I'd like to thank Linda for hosting and for opening the party up to everyone this year. I accomplished things a lot faster than I would have without the ORC for motivation. You can see all of the old posts and before pictures here, if you want to start from the beginning. So, without further ado, here we go.

I decided to leave the curtains plain. I believe I mentioned making pom pom garlands, but I didn't like them in there (they will go live in Baby Girl's room, so they're not going to waste) and I figured simpler was better in this case. I sewed loops of ribbon at either side of the header and hung a dowel with a cuphook screwed into the end. I find that curtains sometimes don't slide well on spraypainted rods, so this helps Yaya open and close them.

I painted the fan myself, and the jade plant is cuttings from a plant my grandma has that I assume is at least a few decades old. Thrift store brass bowl that I've had for a while.

Bedding from Target, pillowcase fabric from Hobby Lobby. The other pillow is on hold for the moment; Yaya told me he didn't want "a pillow with a cover that never comes off," so it might be on hold forever, depending on if he includes shams in that definition.

B's grandma made the crochet rug for us before she passed. Yaya claimed it when he was little.

Harry Potter art. Yaya wanted more, and I have to admit that three more could be possible someday. Not the unforgivable curses, though. He always wants those and I always say no. No dark magic!

Hulk has seen some better days. Sorry about your hand, brother.

I used leftover sample paints from the sides of the drawers to paint stripes on the video game basket. Controllers and other cords are in a picnic basket under his bedside table.

Yoda doesn't trust that monkey. I agree, the mustache and sunglasses are suspicious.

Hedgehog!

Desk area.

Light fixture. Yaya wants it to be fuller, like the inspiration piece, so I will probably buy a third package of veneer at some point. I realized about halfway through the second package that I should be wrapping it around the sides of the fixture kind of in loops and not around the entire exterior, if that makes sense. It probably doesn't.

My favorite quote on this wall, maybe my favorite quote, period. Quote by Conan O'Brien, picture from Tumblr, although I can't figure out where.

From here. I think I'm going to put one of these in each kid's room.

Whew. This was a difficult task at times--DIYing everything can be (read: is always) nerve-wracking. I'm glad I participated, though. Is the room 100% done? No, I don't think any room ever is. Specifically, I still want to strip his video game table and paint the bottom of his desk, and both are jobs that will have to wait until the spring so I can do them outside. As for everything else, I'm pretty happy with things as they are.

Go check out the reveals from the official participants and the linking participants. I can't wait to see all the finished rooms!

30 comments:

  1. Love that Harry Potter art! The room looks so good...you did such a great job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Excellent job!! Love the way it came together.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the colorful gallery wall and the navy walls! Looks awesome -- what a lucky boy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such a fun space! I love the crochet rug and the gallery wall; the painted fan is neat.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a transformation! I love the pendant light, what a fun feature.

    ReplyDelete
  6. fun room! Love the creativity in here! The walls are wonderful. Great job.
    xo Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ha Ha...love the commentary:) Very cute and whimsical!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Jessica, you crack me up. Some of those figures would have kept me awake at night. Love how this came out. You really did an outstanding job. I remember where you started. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Cool room!!!! I think you've achieved the perfect room for your young man Jessica! SO love the HP wall art and that lighting really turned out fantastic!!!!! CHEERS!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Fantastic!! I love your artwork and accessories...well done!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. You got a lot done in your six weeks!! I'm loving the wall of art hung with clips and your DIY light fixture!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I will never ever get tired of looking at a crochet rug! Looks great. Love all the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  13. You did a great job! I love that you have personal items that have been passed on to you. I love sayings and all of your accessories look great. GREAT JOB!!
    Patty at Home and Lifestyle Design

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love the quotes and light fixture! Well done!

    Jessie
    www.mixandchic.com

    ReplyDelete
  15. Love the chandelier and the Harry Potter prints! Great job!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Fun room! I love all the details and that light!
    -Shelley

    ReplyDelete
  17. Love the room! Where did you get that super Darth Vadar clock? It is amazing! I'm sure your son will love his new room! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Cute and fun space with great details!

    ReplyDelete
  19. What a fun room for your little guy, I love the quotes! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Love this room ... such love and fun and inspiration!! xo

    ReplyDelete
  21. Well done! My favorites are the HP prints and navy walls. Looks great.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Your DIYs turned out wonderfully! I love the light fixture and the Harry Potter art!! Great colors and styling. :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. The artwork really makes the room...this is so special and cool.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Can't believe we are done!! Love how your room turned out! My kids are so jealous of all the HP artwork! Your light fixture looks great and love the Conan quote (might be stealing that!) Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  25. The light fixture you made is too cute!! I love all the DIYs. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  26. The room looks great! And that light fixture is very cool, what a great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Hulk is still going strong..lol Such a happy room. You did an awesome job. It's always good to have a piece of heirloom from grandma :-)

    ReplyDelete
  28. I love the color you used on the walls and that vintage desk!!

    ReplyDelete