Tuesday, November 19, 2013

The fall and winter to do list

This summer was not great for getting stuff done. We built a dog fence (which I never fully shared, though I did show a glimpse of it here) and I tried to do a lot of landscaping but didn't accomplish much. Fall and winter is the time to get inside stuff done, so I'm thinking ahead to that now. I have three categories: house, kids, and crafts.

House

As far as I can tell, I last mentioned painting the stair treads in 2011 and never shared an official after, although you can see the treads in my entryway flooring post. I decided pretty much right after painting the stairs that I wanted them back to their natural state, and I'm going to make time to do that this winter. I'll use Citristrip, which should keep the stink to a minimum. Not like I can take them outside or anything.

I have a huge pile of spindles that my mom took out of her house just waiting to be painted and installed here. We'll also install a new handrail that will be stained.

I've already talked about needing to insulate the water pipes and rim joist in the basement. For now we're just doing fiberglass insulation in the rim joist, but I'd like to eventually add rigid foam and drywall. The drywall is just over the spaces between the joists--we probably won't ever be finishing the basement walls that are poured concrete. I'm also going to tape the seams of the ductwork and put trim around the last two windows so I can staple plastic up.

As much I love having to constantly reorganize the sewing room, I'd like to get that permanently finished this winter. B and I will also finish wiring the sewing room light.

When we drywalled the toy room, we left a space for the light switch but stupidly did not just wire a light right then. I'd like to do that now, even though we will be cursing our past selves for all the extra work it will be.

B has been talking for a few years about getting a 60" TV. Personally I think that's excessive, especially in a living room that's twelve feet wide, but whatever. He doesn't ask for much. Anyway, we want to build a wall unit around the currently nonexistent TV, and winter's as good a time for that as any. Better to have it done before the TV.

Kids

I asked Yaya what he wanted to do this winter. He said lots of snow-related things: forts, snowball fights, snow angels, etc., so let's hope it snows enough for him to do that. But not too much; he also said he wanted to climb a mountain of snow and sorry, but I could live without that.

One of our usual holiday traditions is to build a gingerbread house. Normally we do a kit, but then B and Mr. Man eat all the candy off of it and annoy Yaya to no end. This year I'd like to do individual houses--either small houses out of stacked and frosted ginger cake, or those little graham cracker houses.

That way everyone can decorate and eat--or not eat--their own house.

We also drive around to look at Christmas lights. I think this is my favorite Christmas tradition.

As for Thanksgiving, last year we made these candy turkeys and they turned out pretty well. But it took a long time to make not very many turkeys, so I don't think we'll do that again. Maybe something like this?

I don't know. To be honest I'm still a little burned out on Halloween candy, which is not something I ever thought I'd say. I need some sort of savory fried food that looks like a cornucopia or something.

Crafts

I saw this awesome afghan on Meg Duerkson's Instagram. A little Googling told me that this was a fan afghan, and I want to make one. I know I won't finish it this winter, but starting is good. Let's ignore the fact that I already have a billion projects started.

I have two dollhouses waiting for my attention, so I want to make serious progress on at least one dollhouse. I haven't decided which one yet.

And finally, I want to start making clothes for at least one of Baby Girl's American Girl dolls. I don't know if she'll be getting them for her birthday or not--two seems a little young--but I feel bad leaving them naked in a box. Well, Samantha has a dress. Molly is naked.

Looking back, I'm not entirely sure all of this is doable. But having the list is the first step; now I have something to focus on.

2 comments:

  1. Wow, it s a big.list indeed!! If you keep focused, I m sure you can do it, though!! I used to make outfits for the dolls too!! Cute!!
    Ozana

    ReplyDelete
  2. Um, I'm having a really hard time concentrating after I saw that Thanksgiving Hat. I so need those! Not really, not at all but they look super yummy right now. And that afghan is amazing. My mom used to make them for me and I'm thinking lately I'd like to learn how.
    Can't wait to see how yours turns out!

    Mary Jo
    MagicalMined.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete