Wednesday, January 22, 2014

Kitchens, kitchens, kitchens

In the three years we've lived here, I've changed my house on the kitchen remodel many, many times. I've thought about just putting in new cabinets and counters, swapping the kitchen and dining area, and (my current plan) opening up the wall between the kitchen and living room. The kitchen gets the best light in the house and the living room gets the worst, plus it'll be a lot easier for me to cook when I can see the kids in the living room. I really really want to do this right now, or yesterday if possible, but the wall between the living room and kitchen is a load-bearing wall and I don't really want to do the header myself. That means we need a few thousand dollars to get it done, which we do not have right now. I'm also not sure if we should do that before the foundation--I don't mind patching drywall, but if there will be structural differences I don't want to waste the money.

Anyway, since I can't remodel right now, it's the perfect time to get the details ironed out, or at least to get a good idea of what I want.

In the dining area: an awesome chandelier.

Apparently I really like this brass one.

Or brass in general.

And pretty colors.

This is a banquette, which is what I plan on having. Love the window hardware and the molding. Sometimes I feel weird about putting all kinds of molding in my 1968 split level. I'd really love a box beam ceiling and/or some beadboard, but...I don't know. I know I should do what I want, but I just worry about getting too fancy.

In the kitchen area, something open but with definition. Transoms, two-sided glass-doored cabinets, molding, etc.

Michael J. Fox's kitchen. Love the vintage tile.

I'd love to find a stove like this. White vintage stoves are pretty easy to find around here, but I don't think I've ever seen a colored one. I love this turquoise, but I think I'd take any color as long as it's not '70s avocado or harvest gold. Jury's still out on '70s burnt orange.

I love everything about this kitchen: the glass-fronted tall cabinet, the waterfall top on the island, the brass hardware, the chandelier. It's all beautiful.

Finally, I keep finding myself drawn to cabinets like these, this cool pale aqua. That stove, though I know it costs $10,000 or $15,000, is also fantastic and I'd love to have one, although the size isn't feasible for my small kitchen.

Which room do you prefer? Would you have blue cabinets? Or put lots of molding and architectural detail in a split level?

No comments:

Post a Comment