Monday, February 24, 2014

Another weekend gone, another project started

I feel like I've been pretty boring lately. Between finishing up classes (all done as of Saturday!), multiple sick children, and feeling like crap myself, life has gotten the best of me lately. I haven't really been sick, but I have chronic sinusitis and generally crappy sinuses, and the weather has been flipping back and forth between warmish (for February) and snowstorms. I've been living with a sinus headache for weeks, which is stressing me out enough to cause a tension headache. Stabby throbbing in the head is super fun.

Anyway, on to the title. My sister-in-law is pregnant, and asked me a few months ago to make her a diaper bag. I made her one for her first son and she wanted something similar. I haven't been able to get it started until now, which is good because she's due in about six weeks. I'm hoping to get it done in a week or so.

I had hoped to have everything cut out, but after cutting out the main outside pieces and one lining piece, I gave up. Somebody cut something sticky and dulling with my good Fiskars, and I couldn't find any of the multiple pairs of cheap scissors I've bought because people keep using them to cut non-fabric items. I'll go buy another crappy pair tomorrow and call it good.

Here's the fabric--the John Deere is the outside and the check is the lining.

I'll interface the outside pieces and interline with felt. I use a medium weight interfacing on my bags. Both of these fabrics are quilting calico and aren't as heavy as I'd like for a bag, hence the interlining. You might be tempted to use a heavy weight interfacing if you're making a bag with a light cotton like this, but you're really not supposed to--the weight of your interfacing should match or be slightly lighter than the weight of your fabric. In a perfect world, anyway. It's most important that your interfacing is adhered really well. Put some pressure on that bad boy, i.e. lean on the iron.

I'm actually excited to make this bag. I haven't made one in a few years, and I really wanted to use purse feet on the last one I made but couldn't get them in stores and there were fairly expensive online (shipping killed me, and I had to buy 100 or more). But now Joann has about half a dozen varieties, so my purse can now be footed. Let's hope I don't screw it up.

No comments:

Post a Comment