Wednesday, April 30, 2014

Entertainment center, part one

B and I have been planning to build an entertainment center in the living room for some time now. I've been balking at the cost, however, since we were looking at easily $300. That's not bad for what we were getting--an 11' long custom unit that went to the ceiling--but $300 is a lot of money to us.

We saw this three-piece bookcase at the thrift store several times before we decided to buy it. I only have pictures of two of the pieces, because the third one needs to be basically disassembled to work the way we need it to. B has it in the basement for his stuff right now, and it works pretty well for that.

I decided to paint in the kitchen, so the angles are weird. Sorry.

I love the hardware, but the pulls on the doors seem to have pieces broken off. Obviously I won't be able to find replacements at Home Depot, but maybe Etsy, a vintage shop, or the salvage yard can help me.

One coat of primer.

I would have gotten the first coat of paint on, but the roller covers I had were the wrong size, so I need to buy new ones. I swear, every time I go to paint something I pull out these roller covers that I mistakenly bought at least four years ago. They're going in the Goodwill box.

They have brackets underneath for adjustable feet, like the kind IKEA uses on their cabinets. I'm going to take out the plain metal feet that were included and build some legs, then they'll be mounted above the baseboard. That way I don't need to worry about rerouting the vent in the floor, although I will probably need to move both outlets so they're flush with the backs of the cabinets. Either that or I can just cut a big square out. Whichever.

No comments:

Post a Comment