Wednesday, April 2, 2014

My next big project

This is my garage.

I guess I could lie and say it's not as bad as it looks, but it is. It's bad. The only good thing I can say is that it's not as full at the back.

That's not really saying much, I guess.

This garage has been...difficult. We've organized it several times, and we used to be able to work in here. I've never felt comfortable parking in here because of the door size, but B could if he wanted to--he has a car and I have a van. Even after organizing I don't know if he'll be able to, though, because I am a furniture hoarder. I can't help myself; someday we'll move to a bigger house, and who knows if I'll need two more dining room tables? Or if I'll ever be able to find another midcentury Danish side chair or a wicker peacock chair?

First order of business is getting the ladder hung up. This is the only time I've ever wished walls weren't drywalled (I know the one common to the house has to be per fire code, but maybe they all have to be per code) so I could see the studs for easier hanging. Since I can't, though, I'm probably going to use these brackets, screwed into the studs. Or maybe into a 2x4 that's been screwed into the studs.

Next up is a way to organize the furniture that doesn't take up the entire floor space. I'm thinking something like this cleat method from Family Handyman.

I really want a wood storage system like this.

I like how it has space for full sheets, scraps, and dowels and trim.

OK, I have my organization ideas all straightened out. I've procrastinated long enough. Now I just need to find the heavy duty contractor trash bags. They're in the garage.

No comments:

Post a Comment