Monday, May 5, 2014

Hiatus

I've been thinking a lot lately about what I wanted to get out of this blog when I started it five and a half years and 679 posts ago (680 including this one). At the risk of sounding like someone's grandpa, things were a lot different back then. You could just write about your life without being expected to produce pinnable content five days a week. I work too slowly to produce pinnable content. Always have, always will. So the blogging world today is a lot different than what I came into, and it hasn't changed in my favor.

I feel like, if I were to look back over all those posts, I would find much more substantial content in the early days of my blog, the first two years or so. Having Baby Girl changed my life in many ways, and one of them is that it takes a long time to get stuff done again. I guess I had forgotten about that in the time since Mr. Man was a baby. The thing is, though, I don't mind taking a long time to get stuff done when it's just me. But when I have to produce content for the blog, I feel a lot of pressure to finish things up, and that somehow leads to me sitting on the couch and doing nothing because there's too much to do.

I had planned to take a summer hiatus when the kids got out of school, but I realized that I'd be happier starting now. So I'm going to. This is not the end of this blog, or maybe it is. I don't know. I need some time to regroup. Maybe I'll go back to writing whenever I want to, instead of on a schedule. Maybe I'll switch to writing once a week. I'm not sure yet. I will post if I decide to quit altogether, though. I like closure.

I don't have a timeframe for coming back. I suppose since I was going to take the summer off anyway, I'll make a decision by September. So let's say that. See you sometime in September. I hope you all have a great spring and summer.

No comments:

Post a Comment