Monday, October 20, 2014

Here I go

So as I wrote last time, I went to the ER a little over a week ago for severe back and leg pain. I made an appointment with a regular doctor and went last Tuesday. I got a shot of toradol, which is an anti-inflammatory, and it helped a bit. She had me get an X-ray, told me she would get me a referral to a neurosurgeon, and had her nurse schedule me for an MRI. The first opening was October 22, which sucked because I didn't want to be in pain that long. But before we even got out to the car, her office called and asked if I could come in for an MRI in forty-five minutes. That's a good sign, right?

We went and got lunch, then B took Baby Girl home and left me there. I looked like a weirdo pacing around the waiting room for an hour--it's very painful for me to sit down--then finally got my MRI. The MRI tried to steal my earrings; the tech said they would be fine, but when I laid down they started getting pulled out of my ears. She said "what kind of earrings are these?" Super cheap, that's what kind. And possibly magnetic. Anyway, the next day I got a call saying that I had a "significantly herniated disc." It's the very last disc, the one between my last vertebrae and my coccyx. I have an appointment with a neurosurgeon Wednesday. That was another situation where the first opening wasn't until sometime in November, but my doctor found someone to get me in sooner.

I've basically been bedridden for the last week, but I do feel that it's getting a little better. I still can't stand up long enough to make my own food, and it's really hard to sit even long enough to go to the bathroom, but I can sit up in bed for short periods of time. Which means I can sew costumes! It's going to be interesting; I'm not sure I can work the pedal with my right foot (my bad leg) and I've never tried with my left foot. I've got all of the green part of Mr. Man's costume cut out, most of Baby Girl's costume cut out, and most of Yaya's costume cut out. Now I just need to get all the pieces assembled.

I'm going to try and get Yaya's and Baby Girl's costumes started today, and I will cut out the rest of the pieces of Mr. Man's costume tonight. I do need to pace myself; I've learned that just because it doesn't hurt when I'm sitting up, it doesn't mean that sitting up won't cause me pain later. Plus if my back is healing on its own, I don't want to jeopardize that. I don't really want to get surgery on my back if I can avoid it.

Alright, wish me luck. I'm going to try and set up a sewing machine on my bed. Sounds like a good idea, right?

No comments:

Post a Comment