Friday, May 29, 2015

Brain dump

You know how some people talk about the end of the school year and say "oh, the time just flew by"? I do not feel that way about this year. I feel like I can remember every minute of every day for at least the past six months, which is not usually a good thing, I think. It seems like you have more bad things happening when time goes like that, which isn't really the case for us, but it kind of feels that way. You know? Maybe not. I don't know.

Anyway, we're getting ready for the end of the school year now; their last day is next Friday. That'll be a huge weight off my shoulders. To say that this hasn't been Yaya's best year would be a massive, black hole-sized understatement. Next year he starts middle school, and I really need a break before we start on that battle. He and I both do.

B is supposed to be getting a raise at work to go along with the new job he got like a year ago. I mean, he got a raise when he got that job, and he's gotten a few little raises since, but they're redoing all their job titles and descriptions and pay grades, which is supposed to lead to a raise and him moving from hourly to salaried. I think he's kind of annoyed with me because I'm not jumping up and down, but we don't even know how much money it will be yet and this was all supposed to happen at the beginning of May. So I'm not counting my chickens before they're hatched. I can't hold my breath for that long.

The house hunt, even though I just wrote about it two weeks ago, is kind of on hold. (It actually started in March, so it's been going on for longer than it seems.) I had set a deadline for myself of June 15, that if we couldn't find a house by then we wouldn't have enough time to sell our house and move by mid-August. At this point I'm just tired and I feel like two weeks isn't going to make a difference, especially given that we know our house will be difficult to sell. I don't even know how people do this. Are they just finding really great houses straight out of the gate? Are they carrying two mortgages? Becoming landlords? I don't understand it.

I feel like all I'm doing is complaining, and I guess as far as this post is concerned I might be. I guess it's true what they say that the negatives stick with you longer. I've spent the better part of the day cleaning and decluttering the house, so my nerves are a little calmed without stuff lying around everywhere. Of course Phyllis Diller was totally right when she said that cleaning the house while your kids are still growing is like shoveling the sidewalk before it starts snowing, but sometimes you've got to suck it up and do work you know will be almost immediately undone, if only for your own sanity.

We're hoping to get some scrap metal out of the yard this weekend. It's been waiting for a few months but with Yaya having tae kwan do fairly late on Saturday morning kind of limits some of the stuff we can do. We tried to get a scrapper to come pick it up but apparently it wasn't enough. It's probably going to take us three trips to get it all there, so I don't know what would be enough for them. Oh well.

I hope everyone has a good weekend. My Friday night is going to involve either a Property Brothers or Hoarders marathon (I just found out they kept broadcasting it on Lifetime, it wasn't just reruns) and cats on my lap keeping me from getting up, oh no.

No comments:

Post a Comment