Friday, June 26, 2015

Lazy summer

We're about three weeks into summer and so far we've been pretty lazy. The mosquitoes are always bad here because our street doesn't have a storm water runoff system, and we had a very wet May so the mosquitoes are worse than usual. Bug spray only seems to work a little bit and only for a few minutes. In fact, I had to take Mr. Man to the doctor this week because he had bites on his arm that had swollen so badly the school nurse thought it was a spider bite and he was having a bad reaction. He was having a reaction, just to mosquito bites instead of spider bites. The nurse measured the area at roughly 4 1/2 inches square. Some massive doses of Benadryl and hydrocortisone cream later, his arm looks much better, although not totally healed. So for now we're just keeping the kids inside as much as possible. B and I will be spending some quality time outside tomorrow, loading up old junk to take to the scrapyard, so there will be no escape from the little bloodsuckers for us.

I've been trying to come up with a list of goals for this summer. Other than a few things around the house and making Baby Girl some clothes, I'm coming up blank. Maybe that's my brain trying to tell me something, that I should just be lazy. Or maybe it's just that I am lazy? I could go either way, really. We've walked to the park a few times. Ballerina Minnie came along on this trip.

The pool is up at my mom's house. We bought a sand filter for it this year, and it's taking forever to really clear up, which I guess is typical. Still annoying. The kids don't mind, but I feel like I'm swimming in a lake.

We've been working on potty training Baby Girl for about three weeks now. I'm sure those one- to three-day potty "boot camps" work for some kids, but they haven't worked for mine or anyone I know. She could not care less. I've offered her kittens, puppies, candy, ice cream, toys, anything I can think of. She perks up at the idea of ice cream (she's lactose intolerant, so we have to get her special lactose-free ice cream and it takes her forever to go through a carton because she's one three-year-old and I won't let the boys steal it from her) but when I talk about not using diapers anymore and just using the potty, she ignores me or decides she'd rather not or something. Who knows? She's got amazing bladder control so there aren't many messes to clean up, she just holds it. I'm sure that's super good for her health-wise.

B is at a friend's house for the evening, so I'm watching movies and reading blogs. A pretty good Friday night, if you ask me. Now I'm going to get back to Guardians of the Galaxy.

No comments:

Post a Comment